AIYA Links: 9 June
Apply for NAILA 2017 – applications open now for a wide range of categories, including the new categories of a Junior Executive Award, Senior Executive Award, and the Teacher’s Award.
In the news
- In the Washington Post, Tom Pepinsky comments on diversity in Indonesia in the wake of the Jakarta elections and trial of Ahok.
- At an UN oceans summit, delegates from China, Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines pledged they would work to keep plastics out of the seas.
- Indonesia is set to expand its budget for infrastructure, with government proposals outlining an increase as much as 17%. This is part of a plan to attract more businesses to the country.
- The Indonesian government is undertaking a process to catalogue all of the islands in the archipelago state with the UN.
- What has ACICIS been up to this past year? Find out in their annual report.
- In the latest Talking Indonesia podcast, Jemma Purdey and Devi Asmarani discuss the state of women’s activism in Indonesia.
At the blog
- With a career spanning over two decades, Desi Anwar is a household name in Indonesia. She is a distinguished columnist, senior anchor, journalist and the host of Insight with Desi Anwar on CNN Indonesia. The AIYA team caught up with Desi at the Sydney Writers’ Festival to talk about her homeland.
- Melbourne, 14 June – Practice your language skills at AIYA Victoria’s Language Exchange.
- Jakarta, 14 June – Join AIYA Jakarta for a Buka Puasa Bersama.
- Adelaide, 19 June – Come along to AIYA South Australia’s free film screening of ‘Aisyah, Biarkan Kami Bersaudara.‘
- Perth, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, 19 – 23 June – AIBC is hosting a special business breakfast event with Prof. Bambang Brodjonegoro, Indonesia’s Minister of National Planning, around the country. AIYA Members get a special discount rate to these events – please contact your local chapter for the discount code.
- Sydney, 28 June – Join the Sydney launch of Asia Society’s ‘Disruptive Asia‘ publication.
- Adelaide, 29 June – Grab a coffee, meet new people and practice your language skills at AIYA South Australia’s monthly language exchange.
- Melbourne, 30 June – Asia Society’s launch of the ‘Disruptive Asia‘ publication comes to Melbourne too.
Like what we do? Support AIYA by becoming a member today.