In the news
- A speedboat carrying 51 people has capsized off Indonesia’s part of Borneo island on Monday, killing at least eight passengers, an official says.
- Indonesian general Gatot Nurmantyo, who made headlines because of entry refusal into the United States, looks set to launch his political career as a possible candidate for Central Java governor’s post.
- In New Mandala, Hew Wai Weng profiles Ustadz Felix Siauw—the kid from a Catholic, ethnic Chinese family who since his conversion to Islam has become one of Indonesia’s most popular radical preachers.
- Check out the recap of Festival Cerita Jakarta, a two-day festival that focuses on literacy among children organised by Rumah Cerita and sponsored by the Australia Global Alumni and supported by the National Library.
- ACICIS is looking for a Research / Administrative Assistant to be based at the University of Western Australia. Read more about the job description and apply before January 12!
- Applications for the 2018 Elizabeth O’Neill Journalism Award are now open. The Award supports one Australian journalist and one Indonesian journalist to undertake an exchange visit of up to two weeks to strengthen the mutual understanding and appreciation of both countries. Apply before January 22.
- Check out the applications for Hamer Scholarships this year! The scholarships offer the opportunity for language study and cultural engagement with dynamic markets such as Indonesia.
- Learning a language? Get Indonesian & English language help with UniBRIDGE Project.