AIYA Links: 19 October 2018
Do you have a creative idea for our annual publication that you’d love to share? Learn how you can get published in AIYA Annual 2018!
Read more here
In the news
On the blog
- Last weekend AIYA visited Purwakarta to teach AFL and English to the excited students of the SD and SMP at Islam Al Ghozali. Learn more about what our AIYA team got up to!
- AIYA’s graphic designer, Vania Djunaidi writes about the success of AIYA NSW’s fundraising event which brought together over 90 people and raised over $3000 to provide much-needed disaster relief for Lombok and Palu.
- Jakarta, TONIGHT – A ReelOzInd screening will be held at Atma Jaya University at 3:30pm in the K2 Multimedia Room! Come along to watch some great short films made by creative Australians and Indonesians. Ryan Sebastian, the winner of the ‘Best Young Filmmaker’ category will be at the event to talk about his film ‘Unbalanced Corner, Unfinished Book’.
- Melbourne, TONIGHT – Attend the Indonesia Forum’s monthly discussion, titled ‘Anak Muda, Bisa Apa?: The Millennials, Media and Politics’. Find out the role Indonesia’s young people play in the upcoming presidential & legislative elections at Unimelb, from 5:15pm. RSVP here.
- Adelaide, 20 October – Bring your friends and family to the Flinders Uni End-of-Semester Gamelan Concert, featuring Indonesian language students playing new and traditional music. Indonesian snacks provided, just bring a gold coin donation!
- Adelaide, 20 October – The Welcome Dinner Project connects newly arrived people with established Australian residents over a shared meal. The next Community Welcome Dinner is for international students living in the Adelaide CBD. Entry is FREE, just bring a plate of food to share. Register to attend here.
- Adelaide, 21 October – Join AIYA SA for a relaxing hiking through Lynton Reserve, for a chance to see some nature, kangaroos, and take some #selfies! This is a FREE, family friendly event.
- Canberra, 2 November – AIYA ACT is hosting their yearly AGM soon! Come along to hear their year in review and elect next year’s committee. Details on how to nominate for the 2019 committee are in the ‘Opportunities’ section below.
- Canberra, 6 November – The ReelOzInd film festival is coming to Canberra, with a screening being held at ANU! Come along to watch some great short films made by creative Australians & Indonesians. Grab a ticket here!
- Darwin, 30 October – Charles Darwin University are hosting ‘Ideasfest-Indonesia’, an evening of presentations and activities focusing on Australia’s relationship with Indonesia, in celebration of October Business Month. The event is free, however registration is essential.
- Gold Coast, 11-13 November – Save the date for the AIBC Conference 2018: Partnering for Prosperity in a World of Change! Registrations are now open for your chance to mingle with the who’s who of the bilateral business community. If you’re an AIYA member, message your local chapter to receive amazing discounts to this event!
- Hobart, 26 October – Language Exchange is on for those based in Tassie! Come and practise your Indonesian and English skills with AIYA Tasmania at San Churo Salamanca from 6:00pm.
- Jakarta, 27 October – Representatives from the University and Study Tasmania are hosting an information session in Jakarta for students and parents interested in studying options in Australia. Ayo! Cari informasi lebih lanjut mengenai University of Tasmania!
- Melbourne, 24 October – AIYA Victoria, LX, RMIT Building 80 at 6pm.
- Melbourne, 24 October – AIBC Victoria has invited its Victorian AIYA members to an evening meet and greet with Indonesia’s Australia Indonesia Youth Exchange Program (AIYEP) participants. Join AIBC in welcoming eighteen Indonesian young professionals to Melbourne from 6pm onwards.
- Melbourne, 25 October – Join Monash Uni for an evening of celebration of the official launch of the Monash Herb Feith Indonesian Engagement Centre. Drinks and canapes are provided. Seats are strictly limited so registration is essential.
- Melbourne, 31 October – Come along to AIYA Victoria’s AGM (Rapat Tahunan) at the Indonesian Consulate General, 6pm. Details on how to nominate for next year’s Chapter Executive Committee available in the ‘Opportunities’ section below.
- Melbourne, 1 – 2 November – Register to attend Unimelb’s ‘Indonesia’s Inequalities’ conference, examining the nature, causes, and consequences of Indonesia’s inequalities and options for addressing them to promote greater prosperity and welfare. Discounted tickets for students/concession available.
- Melbourne, Wangaratta (VIC) & Canberra, November 2 – 7 – The Julian Banks Group features some of Australia’s finest musicians in a unique collaboration with Indonesian master percussionist Cepi Kusmiadi. Listen to a fusion of Modern Australian jazz with Indonesian traditional percussion as the group tours Victoria (Brunswick & Wangaratta shows) and Canberra. Watch a clip of their performance at the Ubud Village Jazz Festival 2016.
- Sydney, 23 October – AIYA NSW LX @ Quadrangle Lawns, University of Sydney, 1 – 1:30pm.
- Ubud, 24-28 October – Tickets for the Ubud Writers & Readers Festival are on sale now with speakers including Gillian Triggs, Kamila Andini, Fatima Bhutto, and Richard Oh. Get yours here now!
- Yogyakarta, 23 October – Join the AIYA Yogyakarta team for their weekly game of futsal from 9pm! Check out their Instagram page for more details.
- Yogyakarta, 30 October – If you’re not too tired from futsal, don’t forget to also come along to AIYA Yogya’s next badminton night from 6 – 8pm. See their Instagram for details!
- Join AIYA ACT! AIYA ACT are electing a President, Vice Pres, Secretary, Treasurer, Events Co-ordinator & General Officer at their upcoming AGM. If you would like to be involved in AIYA ACT, send an email to email@example.com and specify if you would like to stand for election. Further details are on the event page.
- Join AIYA NSW! AIYA NSW are still looking for motivated people to join our team on appointed team member positions (professional program team/sociocultural team/ educational team/communications team). If you’re interested in these positions or want more information, message AIYA NSW via FB or visit their recruitment page.
- Join AIYA Victoria! If you would like to contribute to AIYA Vic’s ongoing success, nominate yourself here for one of three positions, to be voted in at their upcoming AGM on the 31 October. Positions available are Chapter President, Vice President (Internal) & Vice President (External).
- Our partner at UniAir Cargo is now offering AIYA members in Australia a discount for over 50kg shipments to Indonesia. Contact your local chapter on how you can take advantage of this opportunity!
- Are you the next New Colombo Plan Alumni Ambassador for your university? Expressions of Interest from suitable NCP Alumni to represent their university and the #NewColomboPlan are open now, closing 29 October. Click here for more info.
- Calling Australian residents of all ages that are learning a second language (including English and Indonesian to enter the SBS National Languages Competition 2018 to encourage and celebrate a love of learning languages in Australia, running from the 15 October -18 November 2018. Click here for more information on how to enter.
- Be a part of Australia’s independent national broadcaster – the ABC! The ABC’s Asia Pacific Newsroom (APN) in Melbourne is seeking a Supervising Producer to lead a small and dynamic team producing compelling Indonesian and English news content for ABC News audiences at home and abroad. Apply now!
- Saksara Research and Australian State Government are working together to investigate the perceptions and experiences of Indonesian students studying in Australia. Complete their online survey that usually only takes 5-7 mins and you can win AUD$500. Don’t forget to forward this to all your Indonesian friends in Australia.
- The Indonesian Embassy & Ministry of Foreign Affairs are inviting all students (undergraduate & postgraduate) from Indonesia and other countries around the world to participate in the 2nd Bali Democracy Student Conference (BDSC) – “Democracy for Prosperity: Youth’s Perspectives” on the 6-7 December 2018. Accommodation, transport & meals provided. But be quick, all documents must be submitted to the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General by Monday 22 October.
- Call for Student Volunteers from Yogyakarta! University of Sydney invite local students from Yogya to participate in research projects on disability and social inclusion, alongside Australian students from the 5 – 14 December 2018. See the attached flyer for more details. Send an expression of interest & resume to Pradytia Pertiwi, firstname.lastname@example.org by 24 October to apply for this opportunity!
- The Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in Melbourne are looking for people to apply for a range of internship opportunities. Head to their website for information on how to apply!
- The Australia Indonesia Business Council is hosting the AIBC National Conference (11th -13th November) in Queensland this year and they’re looking for volunteers. Sign up here to get involved!
- Want to host a pop-up ReelOzInd! Festival screening at your school/university/office or park? Choose any date within the Festival period (26 September-31 December 2018) to hold your event. To register, contact: email@example.com
- Learning a language? Get Indonesian & English language help with UniBRIDGE Project.
Like what we do? Want to join or support your local chapter to contribute to our exciting activities? Sign up as an AIYA member today!