AIYA Links: 26 July 2019
The deadline for AIYA National Committee positions has been extended until 28 June 2019! Don’t miss out on the opportunity to join an inspiring group of young people committed to improving Aus-Indo relations.
More information in the ‘Opportunities’ section below.
Read more here
In the news
On the blog
- Indonesian art is fresh, energetic and lively. Read more about why we don’t see enough of it here!
- Adelaide, 15 July – AIYA SA play futsal every Monday night at Flinders Uni. Message them via the FB page if you’re keen to join in.
- Bali, 22 – 29 October – Ubud Writers & Readers Festival has revealed its first round of storytellers for its 16th year. From 23-27 October in Bali, Laksmi Pamuntjak, Tara June Winch, Lala Bohang, Yotam Ottolenghi, Andreas Harsono, and Behrouz Boochani will be joined by 170+ writers from 30+ countries. Early Bird tickets are on sale now and International Student tickets are available, with Indonesian Student tickets available from 13 August. @ubudwritersfest | #UWRF19
- Brisbane, 8 August – Come along to AIYA Queensland’s first professional event for the year, ‘Malam Karier: Smart Networking and Interview Ready’. Join a panel of global experts to discuss how you can excel at networking and ace a job interview. Follow the FB event here.
- Canberra, 21 June – 27 October – The National Gallery of Australia (NGA) ‘Contemporary Worlds: Indonesia’ is a major exhibition of contemporary Indonesian art will showcase 20 of the most exciting emerging and established artists from Bali and Java’s key artistic centres of Bandung, Yogyakarta and Jakarta. Check out the events program and come along!
- Canberra, 2 August – ANU College of Asia and the Pacific Students’ Society and AIYA present Gamelan Evening! Come to enjoy a stunning Balinese dance performance alongside the Indonesian Embassy’s Gamelan ensemble, from 7pm. See the FB event.
- Canberra, 10 August – AIYA ACT is doing a bushwalk up Black Mountain, to be followed by a BBQ at Black Mountain Peninsula Park. Come and join at 10am. Follow the FB page for updates.
- Canberra, 24 August – The annual AIA ACT Winter Dinner will again celebrate Hari Kemerdekaan and be held the following Saturday at the Canberra Deakin Football Club. Evening includes a three-course meal, and great entertainment with a Gamelan Group, a band and lots more. Book your ticket now!
- Jakarta, 10, 12 – 13 August – Register now for the 5th Congress of Indonesian Diaspora 2019 – the largest gathering of Indonesian diaspora, to be held in Jakarta. This year’s theme is ‘Empowering Indonesia’s Human Capital’. Read the official conference invitation.
- Makassar, 27 July – Calling all badminton lovers in Makassar. AIYA East Indo are hosting a sport evening at Gor Badminton Pelita. Follow the IG for updates.
- Melbourne, 31 July – Come to AIYA Vic’s LX every Wednesday at 6pm, RMIT Building 80. Check out their upcoming discussion topics, with next week’s on the Indonesian province of Nusa Tenggara Timur (NTT)!
- Melbourne, 3 August – This year, PPIA Victoria is bringing Cultural Day to everyone (public and all ages). Learn how to play gamelan, perform a traditional dance, or craft your personal batik pouch. Purchase your ticket here!
- Melbourne, 8 August – AIBC Victoria is joining Monash University for a Young Professional Careers Event! Learn more about potential career paths in the Australia-Indonesia relationship. Register here by 1 August 2019.
- Melbourne, 10 August – Don’t miss out on the upcoming Sports Day, co-hosted by AIYA Victoria and PPIA (Monash). The event will be followed by a casual dinner at Nusantara. More details to come – follow the FB page for updates.
- Perth, 30 July – Attend the IA-CEPA breakfast briefing with Australia’s Ambassador to Indonesia, Mr Gary Quinlan AO and DFAT’s Chief Negotiator (Regional Trade Agreements), Ms Elizabeth Ward, as hosted by DFAT and AIBC (WA). Register here.
- Sydney, 27 July – ICON is an annual Indonesian Ideas Conference – a platform for sharing ideas to inspire the next generation of Indonesians to make an impact – and it’s back in 2019 with more industry-changing entrepreneurs, influential leaders and performances. Follow the FB event & register here!
- Sydney, 28 July – The Indonesian Consulate General are hosting a series of Perlombaan (competitions) to celebrate Indonesian Independence Day, including table tennis, chess, gaple and karaoke from 10am. See the flyer here.
- Sydney, 3 August – Don’t miss out on the Lomba Masak Nasi Goreng (male cooking competition) from 10:30am at Wisma Indonesia. See the flyer here.
- Sydney, 10 August – The Indonesia Community Council (ICC) of NSW is hosting their ICC Bazaar 2019, from 10am – 10pm at the Addison Road Community Centre. See the flyer here.
- Sydney, 16 August – Now in its seventh iteration, this year’s ASEAN Forum focuses on the digital revolution in ASEAN. It will bring together leading academic thinkers, activists, practitioners and policy makers to discuss and debate the impact of the digital revolution and the challenges the ASEAN must face. For the full schedule, list of speakers and to register, visit the website.
- Sydney, 18 August – Indonesian Diaspora Network NSW invite you to celebrate harmony in Indonesian Independence together through Walking in Harmony: Gerak Jalan Bersama 2019. Learn more about the event.
- Sydney, 2 September – Join SSEAC for the launch of Andreas Harsono’s latest book, Race, Islam and Power: Ethnic and Religious Violence in Post-Suharto Indonesia at the University of Sydney from 12:30pm. Register your attendance!
- Deadline for AIYA National Committee applications extended! We are seeking applications for a number of national committee positions including: Company Secretary, Director of Operations, Director of Communications, Director of Partnerships & Memberships, Communications Officer, Finance Officer and Operations Officer (Indonesia). Read the position descriptions here. Applications now close 28 June 2019 (two days!).
- KIAT provides a variety of opportunities to support infrastructure projects throughout Indonesia and are currently seeking to employ two Short Term Advisers – Probity Policy for Public Private Partnerships and Legal Drafting for Preparatory Agency Regulation. Applications close 31 July 2019. Click here to apply.
- Asia Society are seeking a new Communication and Media Coordinator (full time), based in Melbourne. View the full position description here. Click here to apply. Applications close COB 31 July 2019
- University of New South Wales is inviting all international students to apply for a range of scholarships and awards. More information can be found on their website. Deadline for scholarships is 31 July 2019.
- The International Graduate Merit Scholarships are available to all international students who apply to a coursework program within the Faculty of Business and Economics at the University of Melbourne. The scholarship will cover 25%-50% of fee remission and admission will be based on the academic results of your most recent year of study. More information can be found on their website.
- The ASEAN-Australia Young Leaders Forum (AAYLF) is a funded four-day intensive workshop which aims to cultivate the next generation of leadership in the ASEAN-Australia relationship. The forum will be held on 28 November – 3 December. Applications close 4 August 2019. Apply now!
- Are you an emerging Asian-Australian leader? Applications are now open for the ‘40 Under 40: Most Influential Asian-Australian Awards,’ a new initiative from Asialink, PwC, ANU and Johnson Partners, celebrating the achievements of the next generation of AsianAustralians. Find out more and apply here. Applications close 5 August 2019.
- Australia Awards in Indonesia invite emerging leaders from Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs) with experience in providing advocacy for policy implementation to apply for a two-week short course on the ‘Role of Disabled People’s Organisations in the Implementation of Policy Reform in Australia’ held in January 2020. This is a fully funded scholarship. Apply through this link (English) or this link (Indonesian) by 8 August 2019.
- The New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program provides opportunities for Australian undergraduate students to undertake semester-based study and internships or mentorships in 40 participating Indo-Pacific locations. Applications from nominated students open on 16 July and close on 14 August 2019. Students interested in the program are advised to contact their international liaison office. Learn more here!
- Applications to participate in the University of Sydney’s first ever university-wide multilingual speech competition are officially open! The event will be held 29 August 2019. Applications are open to all current USYD students, until 15 August 2019. Apply here. You can also apply for a volunteer position. Follow the FB event!
- ReelOzInd! 2019 is open for submissions! Take part in another spectacular tour of Indonesian and Australian storytelling and creativity. Filmmakers, aspiring filmmakers and anyone who can get their hands on video recording device are invited to submit a film of 10 minutes duration or less, in keeping with the theme ‘berubah/change’. Baca lebih lanjut dalam Bahasa Indonesia. Submit here by 16 August!
- Application for the ACICIS Public Health Study Tour running in Nov-Dec 2019 close 25 August! Spend two weeks in Indonesia. $3,000 New Colombo Plan grants are available for eligible students.
- Applications for the Language Assistant Program in Western Australian Public Schools 2020 are now open! If you are an Indonesian (under the age of 29, living in Indonesia and recently graduated in the field of education (with little teaching experience) and you are passionate about promoting Indonesian language and cultures, then this opportunity is for you! For more information and to apply, head to the online application form. Applications close 30 August 2019.
- Applications for ACICIS Semester Programs running in Semester 1, 2020 close 1 September! Study, intern and immerse yourself in Indonesia! Programs are available in Agriculture, Law, Business, Development Studies, International Relations, Indonesian Language Teaching, and Indonesian Language. $7,000-$8,000 New Colombo Plan grants are available for eligible students.
- Registration is now open for the 2019 Indonesia Update titled ‘From stagnation to regression? Indonesian democracy after twenty years’, to be held on 6 – 7 September 2019! This is an annual conference held at the Australian National University. An updated program is available. Register now.
- The Herb Feith Scholarships scheme is a new initiative of the Monash Herb Feith Indonesian Engagement Centre. Scholarships support graduate researchers to complete an MA or PhD at Monash University on a topic related to Indonesia. Submit your expression of interest for the January – June 2020 enrolment period by 11 August (International Students) and 11 October (Domestic Students). Find out more here!
- Monash Herb Feith Indonesian Engagement Centre will have their 2019 Conference entitled, ‘Chinese Indonesians: Identities and Histories’ on 1 – 3 October. See the flyer and register here. Discounted registration available for students and AIYA members.
- Applications for Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarships for Semester 2, 2020 have opened. Apply today!
- The Australia Indonesia Youth Exchange Program (AIYEP) is seeking host families in Canberra for the period 14 October to 1 November 2019. AIYEP Host families will be provided with supermarket and/or fuel vouchers to the value of A$600 for the period as a token of thanks for sharing their home. If you are able to host an Indonesian youth, click here for more details and to contact DFAT.
- The AIMEP is a prestigious international program which invites emerging Muslim leaders in Australia and Indonesia to engage in an intensive two-week visit of cultural, social, interreligious, and intellectual exchange with their neighbouring country. While you wait for applications to open have a look at the key selection criteria and information you’ll need. Follow the website for updates!
- ACICIS is inviting all of its alumni to join the all-new alumni platform. The new alumni platform is packed with new features such as alumni directory, jobs and opportunities page, events page, interest-group pages, as well as other exciting features that will be added regularly. To sign-up, please visit their alumni website here.
- Inside Indonesia publishes original pieces on a wide range of political, social, environmental and cultural issues in Indonesia. They accept articles from a diverse range of people who have an interest in Indonesia. To find out how to contribute, click here.
- Learning a language? Get Indonesian & English language help with UniBRIDGE Project.
Like what we do? Want to join or support your local chapter to contribute to our exciting activities? Sign up as an AIYA member today!