A position has become available within The Australian Consortium for ‘In-Country’ Indonesian Studies (ACICIS) for a Deputy Resident Director for ACICIS’ Indonesia programs. Working with ACICIS’ Resident Director, this staff member will play a key role in supporting the day-to-day running of ACICIS’ operations in Indonesia, across all programs, at a senior level. The ideal candidate will have a PhD (or Masters) from a recognised Indonesian or Australian tertiary institution, detailed knowledge of the Australian and Indonesian higher education environment, and demonstrated program management and leadership experience.
Please find the position description and selection criteria outlined below. Interested applicants should submit a current CV and two-page statement (in English) addressing the Selection criteria no later than: Friday, 2 March 2018. Please note that only short-listed applicants will be notified.
The Australian Consortium for ‘In-Country’ Indonesian Studies (ACICIS) is an innovative, non-profit, international educational consortium that was established in 1994 to develop and coordinate high-quality, semester-long study programs at Indonesian partner universities for Australian university students. Today ACICIS offers nearly 20 study options in Indonesia and is also open to non-Australians and private individuals. ACICIS currently has 25 Australian members and two European member universities and is coordinated by a small secretariat based at The University of Western Australia, Perth, and an Indonesian main office in Yogyakarta, with a smaller operational office in Jakarta.
The Deputy Resident Director (DRD) serves as deputy head of ACICIS operations in Indonesia. As such, the DRD will undertake duties across ACICIS’ program locations in Yogyakarta, Jakarta, Bandung, Bogor, Salatiga and Malang, assisting with program management and staff supervision in those locations. It is anticipated the position will be based in Jakarta, with occasional travel required to other locations in Indonesia. The position is offered as a full-time, fixed-term contract (one year with the possibility of extension) and reports directly to the ACICIS Resident Director (RD).
Core responsibilities of the Deputy Resident Director (DRD):
Duties to be performed by the DRD include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the Resident Director (RD), Program Coordinators, Program Manager, and Perth Secretariat Manager in the planning and implementation of all ACICIS Indonesia programs;
- Assisting the RD with the recruitment and management of local staff as required for ACICIS’ Indonesia programs;
- Assisting the RD in the preparation of short- and long-term budgets, monitoring ACICIS foundations’ accounts and relevant routine and project-specific budgets, and ensuring that expenditure is in line with Consortium and Foundation policies and procedures;
- Serving as the Acting Resident Director in the RD’s absence by representing ACICIS at functions, meetings with visiting Australian contact persons, host university representatives, and other meetings as required;
- Working with the RD to develop and compile an ongoing Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) manual for ACICIS’ Indonesia-based staff, and implementing ongoing training workshops as required;
- Developing internal Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) processes for ACICIS’ Indonesian programs, and training staff in the M&E cycle;
- Assisting the RD and Yogyakarta Program Manager with managing ACICIS’ in-country ‘Yayasan ACICIS’;
- Actively monitoring security issues in Yogyakarta, Salatiga, Jakarta, Bandung, Malang and Bogor and other locations of interest to ACICIS’ operations, and keeping the RD and Consortium Director informed of any significant developments that could adversely affect student safety. Managing ACICIS’ in-country emergency responses as a first point of contact in the RD’s absence, or assisting in a capacity as a deputy head of ACICIS in Indonesia;
- Assisting students in routine and/or emergency medical or security procedures, and updating ACICIS’ Risk Management Guidelines as required;
- Assisting the RD with other tasks as they arise, to ensure the smooth running of ACICIS’ operations in-country.
- Master’s degree from a recognised university;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Australian and Indonesian university environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team to achieve results;
- Excellent time management skills with an ability to manage competing demands and priorities;
- Experience in managing program budgets and training junior staff in financial management;
- Experience in mentoring international students and providing pastoral care and support in cross-cultural situations;
- Proficiency in using the Microsoft Office Suite, Google applications, cloud services and online platforms (including social media, browsers and communication software) to promote the organisation, and an ability to train junior staff in this area as required;
- Excellent networking skills and an ability to represent ACICIS at host university events, media, Australian embassy and other related program events;
- An ability to communicate with influence and manage external partner relations, in both Indonesian and English (with native or near-native fluency).
- Minimum three years’ experience in program management and managing cross-cultural teams, and demonstrated ability to take initiative in program design, implementation and evaluation;
- PhD in a relevant discipline;
- Fundraising/ sponsorship experience in the not-for-profit sector, and a proven track record of successful pitches to private sector and government donors;
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and running M&E training;
- Experience in using Adobe Creative Cloud
- Basic knowledge of database skills, preferably Microsoft Access skills.
Applying for this role
Interested applicants should forward a current CV and statement addressing the selection criteria (no more than two pages) to the ACICIS Resident Director, Dr Adrian Budiman, via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org , no later than Friday, 2 March 2018. Please mark ‘DRD Application’ in the email subject field.
In preparing your statement addressing the above selection criteria, please provide a clear example describing how you meet each criterion. Please visit our website to learn more about ACICIS’ programs and the work we do before preparing your application.
Enquiries about this position should be addressed to:
ACICIS’ Resident Director, Dr Adrian Budiman: email@example.com
You can download the full position description here.