On behalf of AIYA National, I would like to extend a warm thank you to all those who have followed and supported AIYA’s activities throughout 2017.
2017 was the milestone fifth year of operations for AIYA, the peak non-government youth body that aims to connect, inform and inspire young Australians and Indonesians, and to create, facilitate and stimulate opportunities for increased bilateral youth engagement.
We have now grown to a massive team of over 120 volunteers across both countries! It is a privilege to lead this passionate and talented group of young people who are fuelled by semangat. We’re all dedicated to the growth and development of the organisation and we recognise and value the role that AIYA plays in the Australia-Indonesia space.
Our admirable communications team has done a fantastic job of keeping you all up to date via our weekly AIYA Links newsletter and via regular social media updates. #ICYMI here are some of notable highlights from AIYA’s big 2017:
- we ran the third annual National Australia Indonesia Language Awards (NAILA), which received a record amount of entries and introduced new categories, including for teachers of Bahasa Indonesia;
- we contributed to DFAT’s Foreign Policy White Paper with a submission which highlighted the importance of language skills, cross-cultural competency and understanding, and youth initiatives;
- we launched the new chapter of AIYA Eastern Indonesia, with bases in both Makassar and Kupang;
- we strengthened our chapters in Jakarta and Yogyakarta in particular, offering regular events catering to both students and the young professionals community;
- we hosted an Australia-wide series of film screenings for the Indonesian biopic, Kartini;
- we continued to build upon our partnerships with the Australia-Indonesia Institute, the Australia Indonesia Centre, the Australia Indonesia Business Council, CAUSINDY, ACICIS and Balai Bahasa, among many other like-minded organisations and universities;
- we assisted AIYEP’s Australian leg with AIYA NSW hosting numerous social and cultural events for the Indonesian delegates and AIYA National hosting an impressive intern to assist our communications team; and (last but not least)
- we welcomed in several new board members at AIYA National and experienced great succession in the chapter level executive committees.
We can’t wait to drop out 2017 AIYA Annual publication in late January to celebrate the breadth of our 2017 activities, so please keep your eye out for that in the new year!
AIYA is extremely grateful for the ongoing support of our partners and our members, without which we would not be able to continue to do what we love. We look forward to continuing to work together in 2018 and to having you involved in our events and initiatives, and we wish you all a wonderful and relaxing festive period over the coming weeks.
President, AIYA National
Like what we do? Learn more about what AIYA membership can offer and sign up as a member today! Keen to find out more about how you can partner with AIYA or contribute to our initiatives? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with any queries.