AIYA Links: 1 February 2019
Stay tuned for our release of AIYA Annual 2018 next week, where we celebrate highlights and activities in the past year. In the meantime, check out our 2017 Annual if you haven’t done so already!
Read AIYA Annual 2017 here
In the news
On the blog
- Member Spotlight – It’s time learn more about the lives of those behind AIYA. This week we meet one of our Blog Editors, Wella Andany!
- Bandung, 1 February – Join AIYA Jawa Barat in welcoming new members and new ACICIS students TONIGHT at Cafe Oz! Find out what the chapter plans to do for the semester, meet new friends, and enjoy delicious food at this first event of 2019!
- Melbourne, 6 February – AIYA Victoria’s Language Exchange is back for 2019! Head to RMIT Building 80 every Wednesday at 6pm to practise your Indonesian and/or English language skills!
- Sydney, 10 February – ASYIK Casula Indonesian Cultural Day will take place from 10:30am – 3pm at the Casula Powerhouse Arts Centre. It includes activities for all ages like art workshops, puppet-making activities and dance workshops led by Suara Indonesia Dance. There will also be performances and conversations with the artists involved in the ‘looking here, looking north’ exhibition. Follow the FB event for more details.
- Are you highly motivated and interested in developing the Australia-Indonesia relationship through language, culture, and shared experiences? The AIYA Jawa Barat Chapter wants YOU! Apply to become part of the leadership team (based in Bandung) now at the link here. Application deadline: 5 February.
- AIYA South Australia is accepting Expressions of Interest to join the 2019 committee. They’re looking for motivated, passionate young people seeking team and leadership experience. Send 50-100 words expressing your interest to Hannah at [email protected] before 10 February 2019. Positions available include secretary, treasurer, events officer, communications officer and general member/s.
- AIYA Victoria is currently recruiting for 2019. If you are passionate about the Australia-Indonesia relationship, please consider applying. Positions available include Treasurer, Secretary, Media Officer, Education Officer, Sociocultural Officer, Professional Programs Officer and Education Facilitator/s (see Position Descriptions). Click here to apply! Applications due 5pm on 22 February.
- For 60 years globally and 20 years in Australia, the Asia Society has been building bridges of understanding between Asia, Australia and the US across business, policy, education and the arts. They’re currently seeking a new full-time Associate Director – Development (Melbourne) as well as a Program Officer (Melbourne) for their new Melbourne office. Head to their website to find out more information and apply!
- Asialink is looking for the Director of Diplomacy to be based in Melbourne. This position plays a key role in driving Asialink’s position as Australia’s leading centre for Australia-Asia engagement in Australia and internationally. Read more about the role description here and apply before 10 February!
- Are you currently learning Bahasa Indonesia? Want to visit Indonesia to learn more about the language and culture? Indonesia’s Ministry of Education and Culture is inviting all foreign students to apply for 2019 Darmasiswa Scholarship, with a chance to study in the University of your choice among 71 Universities across Indonesia. For more info, head to their application page. Applications close 1 March 2019.
- Balai Bahasa dan Budaya Indonesia (BBBI) of NSW is seeking people from NSW interested in joining their 2019 executive committee or becoming advisors/supporters. Balai Bahasa help promote the value of learning about Indonesian language and culture across NSW. If you’re interested, contact the acting Chair of BBBI, Jane Ahlstrand via email: [email protected] or WhatsApp at: +61439248958. Please note that all positions are voluntary.
- A reminder that applications for the Hamer Scholarships are opening soon, from 11 February to 17 March 2019. They offer Victorians the opportunity for 5-6 months of intensive in-market language study and cultural immersion in Indonesia, China, Japan or Korea with scholarships up to the value of $15,000. Further information and program guidelines can be found here. See how you can take your career/business to the next level with a Hamer Scholarship in Indonesia!
- Are you looking to improve your business development skills set by working on real problems over the summer? Participate in the Building a Social Business online course, hosted by our director of partnerships and memberships, Sam Shlansky, at econome. Take advantage of the discount to get $100 off the normal price of $199 by emailing your interest to [email protected]
- The 2018 – 2019 Short Film Competition for the 14th Indonesian Film Festival has begun. The competition is open to everyone and closes on the 3rd of March 2019. This year’s theme will explore “The Unknown”. Show off your creative skills for the chance to win a grand prize of AUD $750! For more information regarding competition rules and regulations, head to their website.
- Applications are now open for Indonesian schools to join the 2019 Australia-Indonesia BRIDGE School Partnerships Program! Apply here, applications close 3 February.
- Learning a language? Get Indonesian & English language help with UniBRIDGE Project.
Like what we do? Want to join or support your local chapter to contribute to our exciting activities? Sign up as an AIYA member today!
Disty is AIYA National’s Director of Communications. Loves kopi Makassar, tempe, and angkot stickers.