AIYA Links: 14 May
In the news
- JOIN AIYA ON DISCORD! AIYA would like to cordially invite you to join our new Discord, an online group-chatting platform. We will be using Discord a digital hub for AIYA activities including:
- FLEX – our online language exchange is shifting over to Discord from UniBridge
- Games nights – AIYA will be hosting casual and impromptu gatherings on Discord
- Ngobrol santai – any AIYA member will be able to join and chat with other members whenever you want.
- NOTE: Due to Easter and Ramadan, FLEX will be held on April 18 & May 2.
- JOIN AIYA IN-PERSON LANGUAGE EXCHANGE! LX is back in multiple locations across Australia. Connect, chill, and converse with like-minded youth, meet new friends and engage in cross-cultural exchange. In-person language exchange is on:
- WA: Every Wednesday fortnight, 6 PM, Old Shanghai Northbridge. Follow @aiya_wa on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- NSW: Every Wednesday, 6 PM, Darling Square (in front of Messina). Follow @aiya_nsw on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- Vic: Every Wednesday, 6 PM, Kathleen Syme Library Kathleen Syme Library, Multipurpose room 2. Follow @aiya_vic on Instagram or Facebook for more info
- ACT: Every Wednesday, 6 PM, Marie Ray Building. Follow @aiya_act on Instagram or Facebook for more info
- Until 15 May- Beyond Home Borders’ Fundraising Festival is holding multiple interesting events, e.g. developing a pitch, cooking lesson & discussion about including children’s view in literature. Money raised supports Indonesian literature projects.Register here.
- Melbourne, 22 May- AIYA VIC x Sanggar Lestari are hosting Batik Workshop! Learn about batik making on 22 May at 12pm – 2pm AEST in Kathleen Syme Library, Activity room 1&2. $10 entry fee for AIYA members and $20 for non-members. Register soon here.
- NSW, 30 May- AIYA NSW is hosting Badminton Day! Come join on 30 May at Sydney Olympic Park Quaycentre/Sports Halls and get the chance to win a prize! $5 entry fee for AIYA members and $10 for non-members. Stay tuned here.
- 25 May- ReelOzInd Retrospective Film screening with Q&A is part of the Victorian Government’s Education Week 2021, the Australia-Indonesia. Register to attend on May 25 here.
- 25 May- Asialink Business in collaboration with the City of Sydney presents a free online Asia Business Events Series to equip Sydney-based SMEs with key insights and capabilities to explore business opportunities in Asia. Register here.
- 27 May- Herb Faith Dialogue will address various opportunities and challenges that confront sustainable food systems, particularly as we face a post-Covid world. The webinar will be held at 6-7PM AEST. Register here.
- 31 May- APSA Asia Program is calling for applications for its Virtual Program (July/Aug): “Evolution and Challenges in Local Governance in Asia”. The workshop brings together 12 selected scholars to advance research related to local governance and decentralization across Asia. Apply here.
- Suara Indonesia Dance is hosting online Indonesian dance classes via Zoom. They’re held on Friday nights between 6:30pm – 7:30pm AEST. All ages and levels welcome. Read more and book via Paypal here. .
- Kremes Podcast provides lovers of Australia and Indonesia with a chance to listen to a range of Aus-Indo topics from casual chats about our shared cross-cultural experiences to more informative discussions like tips on living/studying/working in Australia. Listen here.
- Indonesia Project Global Seminar – ANU’s Indonesia Project is bringing you a weekly series of seminars on COVID-19 right to your living room. Join in for live discussions, or surf through the archives of previous seminars here.
On the Blog
- At least once in our lives, we have all visited the home of a relative who is grieving the loss of a family member. A crowd of people express their condolences and come with dark clothing as a symbol of mourning. Turut Berduka Cita is one of the simply arranged films but has a strong moral message concerning the loss of someone. Click here to read more about this Indonesian short film review.
- Katalis Collaborative Hub requires a Short-term Senior International Trade Policy Adviser to assist in the development and implementation of a Work Plan to assist the Government of Australia. Apply by May 16 here.
- Cardno seeks an Assistant Manager who is a dynamic individual to join the Strategic Engagement and Partnerships team in Melbourne. Submit your applications by 16 May here.
- Prospera has an opportunity for an Economist (Disability Inclusion) to undertake analytical and policy work as it supports the Government of Indonesia to realize its vision for disability inclusive development. Apply by May 17 here.
- Katalis Collaborative Hub is seeking an Economist – Trade and Investment to provide high level, technical and public policy research, advice and analysis to the Katalis team and program. Apply by May 25 here
- BUSET Magazine is hiring! Send your CV and writing sample of 300 words in Bahasa Indonesia to [email protected]
- Prospera IA-CEPA ECP (Katalis) seeks to recruit an economic research firm that will work in partnership with Katalis and Bappenas to develop a research methodology. Bidders must submit proposals by 31 May. More info here.
- Cardno Australia Indonesia Health Security Partnership (AIHSP) is seeking an organisation that will manage a team of consultants to conduct the mapping of laboratory capacity for communicable surveillance in four provinces in Indonesia. Send proposals before 24 May here.
- Australian Federal Police (AFP) is looking for an Office Manager to lead a large team of Indonesian and expatriate Locally Engaged Staff (LES), and an Administrative Assistant to provide executive support to the MSEA and office operations. This vacancy will close on 24 May. Apply here and here.
- Scope Global offers a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Manager to lead the planning and delivery of the alumni and business engagement functions. The position will be located in Adelaide (Head Office location) or Canberra. Applications will close on 24 May. Apply here.
- Austrade is seeking a Business Development Manager-Agribusiness & Food Will, based in Jakarta, to provide services to Australian companies looking to expand to Indonesia. Apply before 29 May here.
- Austrade is looking for a General Manager, Investment & Sectors, to be posted in Sydney or Melbourne. GM has ultimate accountability for Austrade’s program to attract productive FDI through the provision of services to investors, and the Sector Centres of Excellence. Apply by 1 June here.
- DFAT person in Jakarta as a Senior Program Manager (Infrastructure) to oversee the day-to-day management of infrastructure development activities across the transport sector. More info here.
- DigTech ASEAN promotes digital literacy amongst the ASEAN youth. In its initial phase, co-founders are excited to be hiring an Indonesian to join the team. Apply during May here.
- AsiaLink is hiring a Manager, Advisory & Insights, to lead teams delivering client advisory services focused on conducting business in Asia and developing public thought leadership reports. Apply by May 16 here.
- ANU is hiring a Research Communications Coordinator to contribute your communications expertise to promote the Centre’s research with a focus on aid, the Pacific and PNG, and development policy. Apply by May 24 here.
- ADB Smart Cities Datathon is challenging innovators (startups, students, research organizations and independent researchers, corporate partners) around the world to tackle the following problem statement. Register by May 31 to join here.
- Asia Education Foundation is conducting research on the rationale for learning Indonesian language and studies in Australian schools, to help education policy makers, school leaders, communities and students. They need you, as an Australian that knows Indonesian, to complete a questionnaire by June here.
- ReelOzInd! 2021 is receiving submissions for the sixth Australia Indonesia Short Film Competition until 1 August. Read the guideline here and submit your film here. Get a chance to win AUD15,000 prize pool!
- Palladium is positioning itself to respond to a Request for Tender for a DFAT-funded, regional economic development program in Southeast Asia. There are several positions available here.
- Palladium is hiring a Monitoring & Evaluation Advisor to work with the Australian and Indonesian governments in improving education. Applications must be bilingual. More info here
- Google Indonesia is seeking an Account Manager (English, Bahasa Indonesia) to systematically build and cultivate relationships with customers to unlock incremental business through those relationships. More info here.
- ACFID (Australian Council for International Development) has several full-time and voluntary positions open for those passionate to end world poverty and injustice. Find out the selection criteria here.
- University of Queensland is seeking participants for a study on the acquisition of Indonesian grammar by first language speakers of English. This study is open to those who learned Indonesian as a second language. Click here for registration.
- ASEAN Foundation is calling Indonesian Nationals to support the research on Youth Market and Skills Demand for the Future! All interested applicants can check out the link of each open position for more information or directly submit an application here.
- Australian Volunteers is temporarily suspending overseas placements but are continuing to support partner organisations through remote volunteering. If you’re interested in volunteering in-country then check-out a range of opportunities here.
- Victoria University has a number of Masters research projects for outstanding international applicants residing outside of Australia and commencing study in 2021. More info here.
- Asian Studies Association Australia is funding numerous prizes, awards and grants for publication, workshops, and postdoctoral writing in 2021. Applications open, more information here.
- University of Sydney Southeast Asia Centre is offering two $5000 writing grants for early stage academics to write an article on their PhD topics, and gain mentorship whilst doing so. More info here.
- Monash University Indonesia is looking to appoint a number of professional positions across a range of areas and levels. Applications open for Chief Operations Officer, Educational Technology and Design Manager, and Senior Officer Community Engagement. Click here for the complete list.
- Asia Group Advisors (AGA) is a strategic advisory firm and is currently seeking two Indonesian specialist roles: analyst and senior associate. More info here.
- Indonesia Council Open Conference has an open call for proposals. The ICOC will focus on the partnerships that underpin Australia-Indonesia relations. Instructions for paper and presentation submissions are available here.
- Have you got some stories to share about Southeast Asia? Pitch an idea to The Sydney Southeast Asia Centre. SSEAC is looking for a breadth of disciplinary focus including history, law, political science, agriculture, medicine, among others. For more info click here.
- Inside Indonesia publishes original pieces on a wide range of political, social, environmental, and cultural issues in Indonesia. They accept articles from a diverse range of people who have an interest in Indonesia. To find out how to contribute, click here.
Like what we do? Want to join or support your local chapter to contribute to our exciting activities? Sign up as an AIYA member today!