We want you! AIYA National is recruiting for the following positions. Are you interested in joining us?
In the news
- Australia is set to disburse aid totaling AU$6.2 million (US$4.2 million) to the World Health Organization (WHO) to support Indonesia’s COVID-19 response and recovery efforts. (The Jakarta Post)
- COVID-19’s unprecedented health, economic, social and geopolitical impacts are still unfolding. Tackling a high infectious disease requires global disease control. Raina MacIntyre discusses the challenges that both India and Indonesia faces in controlling COVID-19. (East Asia Forum)
- The rapid spread of COVID-19 across Indonesia has put the country’s healthcare system under pressure, and isolation policies rolled out have exacerbated the challenges faced by people with HIV/AIDS across the archipelago. Listen to this podcast on the impact of COVID-19 on people living with HIV/AIDS. (SSEAC)
- Indonesian batik artist Agus Ismoyo recalled a chance meeting in Yogyakarta 3 decades ago. This led him to travel to the remote desert lands of Australia. Read more about this story in wax: when batik connects Indonesia and Indigenous Australia. (The Jakarta Post)
- Singgih’s earnings as a pengrawit or gamelan musician in Jakarta have been wiped out as a result of the pandemic. Javanese traditional musicians are among the many artists and performers struggling to survive, or qualify for government payment under COVID restrictions. (Inside Indonesia)
On the Blog
- Joko Anwar. Berbagai jenis genre film sudah digarap oleh sutradara, penulis skenario, produser serta artis ini mulai dari komedi, percintaan, keluarga, aksi sampai dengan horror. Tentu saja masih hangat di ingatan kita bagaimana suksesnya film horor karya Joko Anwar yang dirilis tahun 2019 lalu yang mengusung tema gore. Nah, daripada kalian penasaran AIYA National sudah merangkum tiga film horor karya Joko Anwar yang bisa masuk daftar tontonan kalian.
- Joko Anwar. Various types of film genres have been worked on by directors, screenwriters, producers and artists ranging from comedy, romance, family, action to horror. It still warms our minds how the success of Joko Anwar’s horror film, released in 2019 and which carries the theme of gore. Well, than you guys are curious, AIYA National has summarized three horror films by Joko Anwar that can enter your viewing list.
AIYA x UniBRIDGE Online Language Exchange (‘FLEX’)
AIYA is proud to present a new online version of our classic Language Exchange program for its members – Flexible Language Exchange or FLEX. This program will be run in partnership with our friends from the UniBRIDGE Project, and it will start this Sunday (timetable below). Please use your AIYA membership code to access FLEX. The code should have been emailed to you
AIYA dengan bangga mempersembahkan versi online dari program Language Exchange untuk member kami, ‘Flexible Language Exchange’ atau ‘FLEX.’ Program ini akan dijalankan dengan mitra dan kawan kami, UniBRIDGE Project, dan akan dimulai hari Minggu ini (jadwal dibawah). Silahkan pakai kode membership AIYA untuk mengakses FLEX. Kode ini telah di email kepada anda.
- 20 June – Join AIYA Jakarta for their Australia Awards Scholarship Information Session. The session will provide information for previous AAS Awardee for those who are interested in the program. The event is open to AIYA members. Access the zoom here.
- 25 June – Join AIBC WA for their Webex Webinar ‘IA-CEPA and Western Australia – seizing the potential’ from 12.30pm. Register here.
- 3 August – Now in its eighth iteration, ASEAN Forum 2020 will focus on responses to COVID-19 across ASEAN. This event will be run online over the course of two weeks starting from 3 August. Read more about the event here.
- Suara Indonesia Dance are hosting online dance classes via zoom. They’re held Friday nights, 6.30pm – 7.30pm. All ages and levels welcome. Read more – book via paypal here.
- Indonesia Project Global Seminar – ANU’s Indonesia Project is bringing you a weekly series of seminars on COVID-19 right to your living room. Join in for live discussions or surf through the archives of previous seminars here.
- ACICIS needs your help! With international travel bans in place, ACICIS’ existence is under threat. As a result they have launched a fundraising appeal to raise funds to help preserve ACICIS in both Australia and Indonesia. We understand that these are tough economic times, but with your support, we hope they can make it to the other side of this pandemic. To read more about the appeal and to donate, click here.
- AIYA is providing updates on the status of COVID-19 and its impact on upcoming AIYA events as well as the current status of travel restrictions for Australian and Indonesian citizens. To keep updated, read it here – Bahasa Indonesia and English. AIYA is also aware that some of our members may be going through difficulties due to the circumstances of the pandemic. Government information including support for international students in Australia and Indonesia is on the website.
- Berwick College in Melbourne is seeking an Indonesian classroom teacher. The position is open for teachers currently registered or eligible for registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching and qualified to teach in Australia and/or have demonstrated experience in the curriculum area(s) specified. Applications close 25 June. Apply here.
- The Australia-Indonesia Centre has established a grant scheme within the Partnership for Australia-Indonesia Research (PAIR) program. The scheme will fund Small and Rapid Research (SRR) Projects with up to AUD 20,000 each. Total funding available is AUD 160,000. SRR Projects must be completed in 2020. Applications close 30 June 2020. Read more.
- The Indo-Pacific Future Leaders Programme is a foundational leadership programme designed to provide the next generation of policy thinkers living in Perth the skills, knowledge and network to enhance peace, prosperity and security in the Indo-Pacific. It is open to Australia, ASEAN or US citizens, aged 18-29 currently living in Perth. Applications close 30 June. Read here for more info.
- Do you want to be a leader in your field and join an inspiring network of changemakers? Apply today for the Australia Awards Postgraduate Scholarships (open to Indonesian nationals) and gain a world-class education and become a leader for development. Deadline has been extended until 30 June 2020.
- ASEAN Data Science Explorers 2020 registration is now open. Register your team of two ASEAN students from the same institution or different institutions before 30 June! Click here for more info.
- ASEAN scholarship to pursue higher studies at Nalanda University for the 2020-2022 batch is now open! The programme is open for students from ASEAN Member states to participate in a 2-year Master’s Programme in fourfields of study. Submit your application before 1 July 2020. Click here for more info.
- Do you have an innovative idea that could help solve a city challenge? The City of Melbourne (in cooperation with the City of Bandung) are looking for bright ideas to take part in this year’s Open Innovation Competition. The theme for this year’s Open Innovation Competition is ‘waste and the circular economy’, and will run until the 3 July 2020. Read more here!
- The Australian Strategic Policy Institute’s (ASPI) Defence, Strategy and National Security Program are seeking to appoint an Indonesia Senior Analyst to lead ASPI’s new Indonesia Program. This is an exceptional opportunity to work in Australia’s leading defence and national security think tank. Applications close 1 July – apply now.
- With the commencement of the Indonesia Australia Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement on our horizen, there are so many opportunities in the bilateral relationship. The Indonesia Australia Business Council is looking for a new Executive Director. More info here.
- The Rinjani Indah School in Lombok are seeking a native English speaking primary/elementary Teacher to join their team in 2020. Read more about the position and information on how to apply.
- In commemoration of the 75th Anniversary of Indonesia Independence, the Indonesian Embassy is organising 3 virtual contests in Bahasa Indonesia. Video collection period ends on the 27th of July. For more info click here.
- Stay tuned! The ReelOzInd! 2020 Competition is now accepting entries until 1 August. The competition theme this year is ‘energi/energy’. Understandably, many filmmakers may be limited in some ways, but hopefully isolation can provide the perfect opportunity for your creativity to flourish! Find the Call for Submissions Trailer on YouTube here.
- As 2020 began, the world watched as the COVID-19 pandemic slowly spread its way across the globe. Across the countries of ASEAN, this unprecedented event played out in diverse ways. Join Sydney Southeast Asia Centre’s ASEAN Forum 2020: Responses to COVID-19, to learn more about how ASEAN countries have coped and adapted to this new world. More info here.
- Scholarships are available from the Chulabhorn Graduate Institute and ASEAN Foundation Joint Post-graduate Scholarship Programme in Science and Technology. The scholarships are available for ASEAN nationals (except Thai) who are interested in pursuing masters at Chulabhorn Graduate Institute. Send your application before 30 October 2020. More info here.
- ACICIS is inviting all of its alumni to join the all-new alumni platform. It is packed with new features such as alumni directory, jobs and opportunities page, events page, interest-group pages, as well as other exciting features that will be added regularly. To sign-up, please visit their alumni website here.
- Inside Indonesia publishes original pieces on a wide range of political, social, environmental and cultural issues in Indonesia. They accept articles from a diverse range of people who have an interest in Indonesia. To find out how to contribute, click here.
- Looking to upskill during self-isolation? Some Australian universities are offering a range of free online courses covering areas such as cyber security, climate change, business data analytics, digital marketing, mental health and many more. These are accessed through the website Future learn and Class Central.
Like what we do? Want to join or support your local chapter to contribute to our exciting activities? Sign up as an AIYA member today!