Apply for NAILA 2017 – applications open now for a wide range of categories, including the new categories of a Junior Executive Award, Senior Executive Award, and the Teacher’s Award.
In the news
- Former U.S. president Barack Obama will visit Indonesia at the end of this month. He is reported to give the keynote address at the fourth Indonesian Diaspora Congress and to meet with Jokowi.
- Members of Nahdlatul Ulama are strongly advocating an end to intolerance and defending inclusive Islam.
- Cervical cancer is the leading cause of death for Indonesian women. In Coconuts Jakarta, Kate Walton writes that the high fatality rate is tied to attitudes towards sex.
At the blog
- Read the second-part of our series In Conversation with Desi Anwar. In Part Two Anwar reflects on how Indonesian’s and Australian’s perceive one another and opportunities for future engagement between our two countries. You can catch the first-part in the series article exploring Indonesia’s journalistic freedom and the transition to democracy here.
- Adelaide, 19 June – Come along to AIYA South Australia’s free film screening of ‘Aisyah, Biarkan Kami Bersaudara.‘
- Perth, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, 19 – 23 June – AIBC is hosting a special business breakfast event with Prof. Bambang Brodjonegoro, Indonesia’s Minister of National Planning, around the country. AIYA Members get a special discount rate to these events – please contact your local chapter for the discount code.
- Sydney, 28 June – Join the Sydney launch of Asia Society’s ‘Disruptive Asia‘ publication.
- Adelaide, 29 June – Grab a coffee, meet new people and practice your language skills at AIYA South Australia’s monthly language exchange.
- Melbourne, 30 June – Asia Society’s launch of the ‘Disruptive Asia‘ publication comes to Melbourne too.
- Join the NAILA committee! There are several available positions at the moment to become part of Australia’s largest Bahasa Indonesia language competition whilst developing your leadership and organisational skills.
- Based in South Australia? Become part of the next AIYA South Australia Chapter Executive!
- Asia Society Australia is seeking interns with an interest in Asia and Australia-Asia relations to join them in Sydney.
- The Australian Institute for International Affairs is now accepting applications for their Euan Crone Asian Awareness Scholarship. The scholarship grants up to $5,000 to deepen awareness of Asia among young Australians.
- Do you use dwibahasa on social media? An AIYA Masters student is looking for participants in a study investigating language behaviours of using Indonesian and English on social media. To get more information check here or email email@example.com.
Like what we do? Support AIYA by becoming a member today.