AIYA Links: 22 February 2019
Source: The Australia-Indonesia Centre
The second presidential debate was held on Sunday night (17 February) featuring just the two presidential candidates, President Jokowi and Prabowo Subianto. Indonesia Director of the AIC, Kevin Evans delivers a wrap up of the debate.
Read more here
In the news
Keen for more news updates on all things Australia-Indonesia? Subscribe to the Australia-Indonesia Centres’ Media Updates for a twice-weekly digest!
On the blog
- Member Spotlight – It’s time learn more about the lives of those behind AIYA. This week, meet AIYA NSW Socio-Cultural Officer, Maddie Randell!
- Don’t forget to read the 2018 AIYA Annual here!
- Adelaide, 24 February – AIYA South Australia’s next event is a social hike at the Morialta Conservation park. Meet the AIYA Team at the car park at 9:30am for a 10am start. Family and friends welcome. Follow the FB event to receive more information.
- Adelaide, 7 March – Join AIYA SA at the Adelaide Fringe Festival and watch the Gamelan Orchestra with Traditional Indonesian Dances from Mataram, as presented by Sanggar Mendur Putiq & The Garage International. Please note, tickets are sold by Adelaide Fringe and must be purchased before the event! AIYA SA have also received an exclusive invitation to MEET AND GREET the artists and take a group photo after, so don’t miss out! Follow the FB event and purchase your tickets here.
- Adelaide, 12 March – Join AIYA SA for LX at Victoria Square from 5:30pm!
- Denpasar, 26 February – Join IALF’s Study in Australia Expo from 14.00 – 18.00 WITA. You will meet and have an insightful discussions with representatives from top universities in Australia, receive valuable information about living and studying in Australia from alumni and learn about scholarship opportunities. This event is FREE and open to the public – register now!
- Jakarta, 23 February – Join IALF’s Study in Australia Expo from 14.00 – 18.00 WITA. You will meet and have insightful discussions with representatives from top universities in Australia, receive valuable information about living and studying in Australia from alumni and learn about scholarship opportunities. This event is FREE and open to the public – register now!
- Jakarta, 11 March – On behalf of the Indonesia Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM), the AIBC invites you to the 2019 REGIONAL INVESTMENT FORUM (RIF) held at Nusantara Hall, Indonesia Convention Exhibition (ICE) Tangerang, Banten, Indonesia. Express interest by contacting IIPC Sydney at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 2 9252 0091 before 5 March 2019. Learn more here!
- Kupang, 23 February – Join AIYA East Indonesia (NTT) for LX at AussieBanget Corner-Nusa Cendana University Kupang from 11am onwards. This week’s theme is music!
- Makassar, TONIGHT – Want to know how to receive Australia Awards Scholarships? AIYA East Indo (Makassar) and BaKTI are hosting “Sharing Session: Australia Awards Scholarships” where you can hear from two Australia Awards’ Alumni speak about their scholarship journey. Click here for more information!
- Melbourne, 23 February – From 7pm, the Melbourne Community Gamelan will accompany a Javanese wayang (shadow puppet) performance with guest musician, Danis Sugiyanto at the Church of All Nations, Carlton. Please book by Friday 22 February.
- Melbourne, 27 February – Come to AIYA Vic’s LX every Wednesday at 6pm, RMIT Building 80.
- Melbourne, 12 March – Come along to the Australian Institute of International Affairs’ (Victoria) seminar entitled ‘Asleep at the Wheel? Australian Economic Engagement in Indonesia’. Hear guest speaker Andrew Parker, Partner and Asia Practice Leader at PwC share his insights on the obstacles to a stronger Australia-Indonesia relationship. Get your tickets here!
- Sydney, 7 March – Commemorating International Women’s Day 2019, AIYA NSW’s first event for 2019 is an all-female panel discussion themed “Women Who Lead: Stories of Success”. Hear the guest speakers share their personal journeys and describe what it means to be a female leader. The night will close with networking and canapes with the panellists. To learn more about the speakers and to register your attendance, click here.
- AIYA Tasmania is recruiting for positions of Secretary and Events Officer in 2019! Be part of an exciting process to build a strong Australia-Indonesia relationship. Applications close on the 28 February, click this link to apply! If you have any questions, feel free to contact AIYA Tas on Facebook or email.
- AIYA Queensland is accepting Expressions of Interest to join the 2019 committee for a variety of roles. If you’re a passionate, motivated young person seeking team and leadership experience, send your CV and a short introduction of yourself detailing why you want to join the committee (max. 200 words) to email@example.com by March 1 2019.
- AIYA Victoria is currently recruiting for 2019. If you are passionate about the Australia-Indonesia relationship, please consider applying. Positions available include Treasurer, Secretary, Media Officer, Education Officer, Sociocultural Officer, Professional Programs Officer and Education Facilitator/s (see Position Descriptions). Click here to apply! Applications due 5pm today!
- Volunteers required! FBBI 2019 is the Festival Bahasa dan Budaya Indonesia 2019 and aims to celebrate and share Indonesian language and culture with high-school students across Victoria. To register your interest to present at one of the workshops across Warrnambool, Wodonga, Melbourne City or Clayton, click here.
- Applications for internships at the Australian Embassy Indonesia are now open. The Embassy welcome applications from Australian and Indonesian postgraduate students to undertake an internship for an 8 week period from 1 July to 23 August 2019. Applications close on Sunday 17 March 2019. To learn more and apply, click here.
- English First (EF) Indonesia is looking for Australian teachers for teaching posts in Indonesia. EF Indonesia is also offering sponsorship for a Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certificate valued at over $500 to successful candidates as well as full reimbursement for flights to/from Australia. If you would like to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org describing why you are applying for this role (100 words max) and attach your CV.
- Indonesia’s Ministry of Education and Culture is inviting all foreign students to apply for 2019 Darmasiswa Scholarship, with a chance to study in the University of your choice among 71 Universities across Indonesia. For more info, head to their application page. Applications close 1 March 2019.
- Balai Bahasa dan Budaya Indonesia (BBBI) of NSW is seeking people from NSW interested in joining their 2019 executive committee or becoming advisors/supporters. Balai Bahasa help promote the value of learning about Indonesian language and culture across NSW. If you’re interested, contact the acting Chair of BBBI, Jane Ahlstrand via email: email@example.com or WhatsApp at: +61439248958. Please note that all positions are voluntary.
- Applications for the Hamer Scholarships are now open! They offer Victorians the opportunity of a 5-6 month intensive in-market language study and cultural immersion in Indonesia, China, Japan or Korea with scholarships up to the value of $15,000. See how you can take your career/business to the next level with a Hamer Scholarship in Indonesia! Further information and program guidelines can be found here. Applications close 17 March 2019.
- Are you looking to improve your business development skills set by working on real problems over the summer? Participate in the Building a Social Business online course, hosted by our director of partnerships and memberships, Sam Shlansky at econome. Take advantage of the discount to get $100 off the normal price of $199 by emailing your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The 2018 – 2019 Short Film Competition for the 14th Indonesian Film Festival has begun. The competition is open to everyone and closes on the 3rd of March 2019. This year’s theme will explore “The Unknown”. Show off your creative skills for the chance to win a grand prize of AUD $750! For more information regarding competition rules and regulations, head to their website.
- Learning a language? Get Indonesian & English language help with UniBRIDGE Project.
Like what we do? Want to join or support your local chapter to contribute to our exciting activities? Sign up as an AIYA member today!